Side 7 Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation...  
Error: Error in: Library_global::do_standard_query Line 547
Query Execution failed!
Got error 28 from storage engine
SQL Statement -- SELECT user_accounts.*, user_account_personal_info.*, user_account_system_info.*, access_control_list.*, SUM(account_credit_transactions.amount) as account_credits, user_accounts.id as user_account_id, user_account_personal_info.modified_date as personal_info_modified_date FROM user_accounts LEFT JOIN user_account_personal_info ON user_account_personal_info.user_account_id = user_accounts.id LEFT JOIN user_account_system_info ON user_account_system_info.user_account_id = user_accounts.id LEFT JOIN access_control_list ON access_control_list.id = user_accounts.access_control_list_id LEFT JOIN account_credit_transactions ON account_credit_transactions.user_account_id = user_accounts.id WHERE user_accounts.id = ? GROUP BY account_credit_transactions.user_account_id
Parameters -- 2
Query Execution failed!
SQL Statement -- SELECT user_accounts.*, user_account_personal_info.*, user_account_system_info.*, access_control_list.*, SUM(account_credit_transactions.amount) as account_credits, user_accounts.id as user_account_id, user_account_personal_info.modified_date as personal_info_modified_date FROM user_accounts LEFT JOIN user_account_personal_info ON user_account_personal_info.user_account_id = user_accounts.id LEFT JOIN user_account_system_info ON user_account_system_info.user_account_id = user_accounts.id LEFT JOIN access_control_list ON access_control_list.id = user_accounts.access_control_list_id LEFT JOIN account_credit_transactions ON account_credit_transactions.user_account_id = user_accounts.id WHERE user_accounts.id = ? GROUP BY account_credit_transactions.user_account_id
Parameters -- 18736
Query Execution failed!
Parameters -- 10907
Update Profile · Private Messages · Manage Watched Threads

Forum IndexCommunityGeneral Chit Chat
Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation...

Page 1 of 3 :: Viewing 1-10 of 29 1 2 3

BadKarma

File could not be found or doesn't exist.

Total Posts: 552
Subject: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 12 Feb 2009 - 22:48 ET

Hey all,

I'm looking for ideas. The new site is launched, new art is flowing in, and that's great. However, one of the reasons people post their artwork to a site is exposure and commentary. Exposure is great, but the commentary on Side 7 is lacking.

So, I'm looking for ideas on how you think we could change things to help commentary pick up again. What would you like to see that you think would increase interest in leaving comments on artwork? What do you think we could do better, or do that we're not doing currently?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-- BK

My Side 7 Gallery | Personal Site
Melle

Total Posts: 15
Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 13 Feb 2009 - 10:48 ET

Well.. *taps chin* There are a FEW ideas... that I could toss around I guess.

Uhm, Folders would help. Having the ability to put out artwork into folders for example, Casper, Dragon Hunters ............of our choosing like that! I mean to make it easier for folks to browse through our gallery. That way they can look at the subject they like or may take interest in, see something easier and comment! Instead of looking through let's say 20 pages of everything, and chance missing up on possibly 5 of the subject they hoped to find.

Hrmn, Also, I KNOW the site needs money and that's a given, but perhaps, if you set a higher goal for "Account Credits" like 1000 or.......1500 or something for perhaps a "Free" 5 star account or something along those lines, maybe folks will start commenting more? I mean, I'm already motivated to comment for the 3 Star!

I'm flat broke,a s many others are as well... so the idea of a free 5 star, would get me commenting on everything and even looking at things I normally wouldn't. Which could ultimately broaden the horizon for me and such as to what I'd like, and even others could like!

I just know that t here are -3- things that people love on art sites and sites in general.

1. Is Free Stuff...~!
2. Is Organization/Customs
3. Contests ........with big prizes! <3

People eat that stuff up.
BadKarma

Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 13 Feb 2009 - 16:05 ET

Melle wrote:
Well.. *taps chin* There are a FEW ideas... that I could toss around I guess.

Uhm, Folders would help. Having the ability to put out artwork into folders for example, Casper, Dragon Hunters ............of our choosing like that! I mean to make it easier for folks to browse through our gallery. That way they can look at the subject they like or may take interest in, see something easier and comment! Instead of looking through let's say 20 pages of everything, and chance missing up on possibly 5 of the subject they hoped to find.

Very good point. That's what the Custom Portfolios are designed to be (they will be coming in version 4.1). Although, I think they're slated for 5 Star, but could be re-done to be 3 Star. Honestly, I think that would be a good change.

Hrmn, Also, I KNOW the site needs money and that's a given, but perhaps, if you set a higher goal for "Account Credits" like 1000 or.......1500 or something for perhaps a "Free" 5 star account or something along those lines, maybe folks will start commenting more? I mean, I'm already motivated to comment for the 3 Star!

I'm flat broke,a s many others are as well... so the idea of a free 5 star, would get me commenting on everything and even looking at things I normally wouldn't. Which could ultimately broaden the horizon for me and such as to what I'd like, and even others could like!

Hm. There's an idea. The whole point of the 5 Star, though, was that for those who helped the site financially, they would receive the most benefit. By giving a free version of that, the motivation for the financial support is gone.

I just know that t here are -3- things that people love on art sites and sites in general.

1. Is Free Stuff...~!
2. Is Organization/Customs
3. Contests ........with big prizes! <3

People eat that stuff up.

This is very true. However, free costs money. Somewhere, someone has to pay for it, which is what I volunteer to do. It's a known responsibility of running a site like this. However, as such, that causes limitation in what we can do, especially in the current economic climate. And that's a shame.

Once version 4.1 is launched, we plan to bring back big contests to the site. Not all of them will include high-dollar prizes, but some of them will include prizes like art supplies and the like. We've given 64-count Prismacolor pencil sets in the past, and those were darn near $75.00 US each. We tried promoting a v4.0 launch party contest a while ago, but no one seemed interested in it, even after we advertised the grand prize being either a Nintendo Wii or a Sony PS3. Not sure why that failed; perhaps we didn't advertise it enough.

Thanks for the input. Definitely food for thought. The unfortunate part is the funding, which is currently non-existent, for a couple of the ideas. Unlike sites like DeviantArt, we're not corporately funded, and haven't been awarded investments of $4,000,000.00 for development of new features. But, we can hope, right? Anyone know of a rich cousin or uncle who wants to donate vast amounts of money to a grass-roots art gallery? ;)

-- BK

Weasel_Silver24

Total Posts: 57
Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site partipartion... Posted: 13 Feb 2009 - 21:54 ET

Exposure is great, but the commentary on Side 7 is lacking.

I agree, beside just putting my artwork up here for fun, I look forward for someone to take interest in commenting and give helpful criticizing. I'm always at times incouraging one to visit my gallery, but there ways of helping.

Again, the new "star reward" is good but the one who is commenting gets just "one" credit. I still think that the "grading comments" should come back, but somehow make it "more clear" that one gets "account credits". I'm still not so sure that some artist know how the "new star reward" works, knowing that one does get a "credit" added to account. I also agree with on some of the things Melle said, I know it's probaby not easy to run an excelent web gallery like this one, and having to come up with ideas.

Uh?! Maybe there could a feature where say if an artist wanted another artist to do a "art trade/commission, maybe there could be another feature where you also a give a number of "account credits", like maybe around 10 through 50 credits or just 10 to 20. Just instead of money, because not everyone is brave to hand out money, it seem one HAS to be careful where it goes now days. (Especial with the economic down fall).
BadKarma

Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 13 Feb 2009 - 22:06 ET

Weasel_Silver24 wrote:
Exposure is great, but the commentary on Side 7 is lacking.

I agree, beside just putting my artwork up here for fun, I look forward for someone to take interest in commenting and give helpful criticizing. I'm always at times incouraging one to visit my gallery, but there ways of helping.

Again, the new "star reward" is good but the one who is commenting gets just "one" credit. I still think that the "grading comments" should come back, but somehow make it "more clear" that one gets "account credits". I'm still not so sure that some artist know how the "new star reward" works, knowing that one does get a "credit" added to account. I also agree with on some of the things Melle said, I know it's probaby not easy to run an excelent web gallery like this one, and having to come up with ideas.

Commenting alone garners credits, but yes, you're correct. There should be more awareness to the credits received for commenting. Currently the Bronze/Silver/Gold stars are simply a commenter's way of giving a little extra recognition to the artist. However, perhaps there should be a reward to the artist for such a reception.

The grading of comments is coming back in v4.1. However, instead of being a 1-10 scale, it'll be a Not Helpful <-> Very Helpful scale, and will similarly reward the commenter for their effort.

Uh?! Maybe there could a feature where say if an artist wanted another artist to do a "art trade/commission, maybe there could be another feature where you also a give a number of "account credits", like maybe around 10 through 50 credits or just 10 to 20. Just instead of money, because not everyone is brave to hand out money, it seem one HAS to be careful where it goes now days. (Especial with the economic down fall).

Hehe, you've hit the nail on the head for a v4.2 feature: Commissions Wishlists and Exchanges. This is a two-fold feature where a member can build a wishlist of other site members they'd love a commission or art trade from. Secondly, it'll give the member a way of listing descriptions of images they'd love for someone to draw for them. Then, any other member could view the descriptions, and gift the member with one of the images (no charge will be allowed for this feature), kind of like an Amazon wishlist. The hope here is to build an exchange of images, and provide an idea base for artists who are looking for image ideas.

It's a shame that I can't get this stuff out sooner. Ugh.

-- BK

Unregistered User

Total Posts: 1188
Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 14 Feb 2009 - 09:40 ET

unfortunately I cant think of any ideas myself. But I liked the ideas I read above
well hmm ok lemme think
I like flickr's mapping ability of your photographs... maybe something like that... I also enjoy clubs... eeeehm maybe special club accounts?
And the folder idea mentioned above is something I would most definitely be happy to see
Weasel_Silver24

Total Posts: 57
Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site partication... Posted: 14 Feb 2009 - 09:51 ET

That's sounds pretty good with the new grading comment system for later version...

Excelent for the "Commission/Art Trade that will great to have, I can't wait! ^_^

-Miss D. (Debra)
BadKarma

Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 14 Feb 2009 - 10:33 ET

posesimo wrote:
unfortunately I cant think of any ideas myself. But I liked the ideas I read above
well hmm ok lemme think
I like flickr's mapping ability of your photographs... maybe something like that... I also enjoy clubs... eeeehm maybe special club accounts?
And the folder idea mentioned above is something I would most definitely be happy to see

Mapping ability? Can you explain more? Is that where people can put highlights on the images and so that when you mouse-over certain areas, it shows small comments and the like?

And what do you mean by clubs?

Weasel_Silver24 wrote:
That's sounds pretty good with the new grading comment system for later version...

Excelent for the "Commission/Art Trade that will great to have, I can't wait! ^_^

I hope it's something everyone will like.

-- BK

Melle

Total Posts: 15
Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 14 Feb 2009 - 10:38 ET

Oh! Very cool!! I look forward to the new stuff! <3

Also, I like the idea of "clubs"! Allowing Mini accounts where everyone can come together who likes that show!

Example: DBZ club..... everyone can join it and talk about DBZ and post their artworks for it in the club or...something like that.. @_@; Or the DBZ club could hold a contest (the maintainer of it) and whoever wins would get a prize from there... and that could increase artist knowledge.

Though, if this were acquired, I'd love it if you could do something in a way like what...sheezy art does? As an example.... the picture gets posted in the club, but it stays linked to the Original Artists main-gallery... So all of the favs/comments would go directly to them. (Unlike at DA.... where you've gotta pray people look for it)
BadKarma

Subject: RE: Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation... Posted: 14 Feb 2009 - 10:46 ET

Melle wrote:
Oh! Very cool!! I look forward to the new stuff! <3

Also, I like the idea of "clubs"! Allowing Mini accounts where everyone can come together who likes that show!

Example: DBZ club..... everyone can join it and talk about DBZ and post their artworks for it in the club or...something like that.. @_@; Or the DBZ club could hold a contest (the maintainer of it) and whoever wins would get a prize from there... and that could increase artist knowledge.

Though, if this were acquired, I'd love it if you could do something in a way like what...sheezy art does? As an example.... the picture gets posted in the club, but it stays linked to the Original Artists main-gallery... So all of the favs/comments would go directly to them. (Unlike at DA.... where you've gotta pray people look for it)

So, essentially, what you're saying is something like a user group where people who have accounts on the site could join up and share a common interest. Another reference would be something like LiveJournal communities? However, any post that you make to the club would also show up in your personal gallery.

-- BK

Page 1 of 3 :: Viewing 1-10 of 29 1 2 3

Forum IndexCommunityGeneral Chit Chat
Your Opinion Wanted: Ideas for increasing site participation...

Forum Key
No New Posts New Posts
Hot Topic! Hot Topic w/ New Posts
Locked Topic